Monday, August 22, 2005

This Weekend I

This was a big weekend in a lot of ways. Most importantly, the Muse's brother Mr. Dry Wit married Ms. Lively on Saturday. It was a seriously great wedding for a seriously great couple.

There's a really bad line from a movie where one member of a couple says to the other member, "You complete me." (I'm remembering that it was from Jerry Maguire because it would be a nice mate for "You had me at hello." For someone who wrote stuff as good as Fast Times at Ridgemont High and Singles, Cameron Crowe had some serious clunkers in Jerry Maguire.) While it's a bad line, there's some real truth to it. It seems like someone who you want to marry should complete parts of you, maybe in ways that you didn't know needed completing. That's how the Muse is for me, at least.

I'll give you an example. The first time that the Muse and I ever really had a conversation by ourselves, it was watching this really atrocious movie The Wraith late at night in our dorm. We got started talking about that was a real "flick," while better movies should get called something else like "movie" or "film." I always knew that I really liked movies and to think about movies, but I don't know that I had ever met someone who was on the same wavelength on that before I met the Muse. We still use the flick-movie-film rating system to rate movies. (For example: (1) The Wraith would be a "flick" because it blew; (2) Jerry Maguire would be a "flick +" because it pretty much blew; (3) a movie we watched recently, In Good Company, would be a "movie" because it had good acting and good actors, but the plot wasn't great and Marg Helgenberger was totally wasted (in that she had nothing to do, not that she was drunk); (4) Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King would be a "film-" because it was pretty great, but there was an awful lot of incomprehensible Tolkeinese, rock-flinging and Nazguel-flying that could have been cut; (5) There's Something About Mary would be a "film" because it was the funniest movie of the last 15 years; and (6) Star Wars would be a "film+" because it has inspired a generation of American men with its brilliance.) Apparently, The Muse's grandpa thought The Muse and I fit together pretty well. One time when the Muse and I were at her parents' house several months before we got married, after we left, the Muse's grandpa told her mom, "That [Muse] and [Webbed Toe], they're a corporation."

Anyway, I get the right kind of vibe from Mr. Dry Wit and Ms. Lively. It's the same vibe I get from my mom and dad (married 38 years), The Muse's mom and dad (married 38 years) and Ms. Lively's mom and dad (also married 38 years, I think). (1967 was a fine year for California marriages, apparently. Nice bouquet, they age well.) Mr. Dry Wit and Ms. Lively mesh together very well. They seem to make each other better. Before Ms. Lively came around, I don't know if I would have believed you if you had told me that Mr. Dry Wit would shake a tailfeather like he was shakin' it. (Of course, I didn't go to college or Germany with him either.) When he was a young teen, he did do a stellar Dwarf from Twin Peaks dance and a nice Ickey Shuffle, but, dude, he was bustin' moves Saturday. Thanks for bringing that out, Ms. Lively.

So, biggest congratulations to Mr. Dry Wit and Ms. Lively. They're a corporation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home