Saturday, November 18, 2006

The Cords Are Coming

It is a continuing theme of science fiction that, some day, the machines will take over. Usually, when they take over, they start killing or subjugating the people. The Terminator and Matrix movies are all about this. Star Trek has the Borg. Even Star Wars has the stormtroopers, who apparently actually were people, but that fact didn't really come out until Attack of the Clones in 2002. When I was 8, my friends and I were sure that the stormtroopers were robots.

At this point, though, I have to disagree with this idea that the machines will take over someday. Personally, I think that the cords will take over.

Have you looked behind your desk lately? It is the land of the cords, I'm sure. I know the space behind my work desk is like that. Since I got my IPod, the cords behind my dresser have multiplied. You have: (1) the power cord for my computer; (2) the power cord for the external CD drive; (3) the cord that links my computer to the external CD drive; (4) the cord that links my computer to the IPod; and (5) the cord for my IPod headphones. And I have a pretty simple setup. Enthusio got a GameCube for his birthday. That thing has: (1) the power cord; (2) the cords that hook the GameCube up to the TV; and (3) the cords that hook the controller to the GameCube.

So I think that the future belongs to cords. Oh, the machines may think that they will be taking over, but, on the day that they piss off the cords, the cords will unplug themselves and take over. And the world will be their rats' nest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home